Win 1 of 3 Gift Packs from Women-Led Companies
Enter to win KUN and Avie Records products!
To celebrate the 5th edition of the Dallas Symphony Women in Classical Music Symposium that recently came to a close, The Violin Channel, in conjunction with our friends at KUN and Avie Records is this week giving away 3 special gift sets of products from women-led companies.
The gift set includes a KUN Bravo shoulder rest for violin or viola, plus discs from Avie Records: "The Girl in my Alphabet" featuring music by Errollyn Wallen and "Handel's Israel in Egypt" highlighting Jeannette Sorrell conducting Apollo's Fire.
Melanne Mueller, co-founder of Avie Records answered a few questions for us:
What advice do you have for female leaders in the industry?
Strive to have confidence in your own convictions and follow your own path. Quoting Oscar Wilde, “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
At the same time, continuously question, which will aid the decision-making process. In our fast-paced, 24/7, social media-centric world it’s tempting to be impulsive. Take regular timeouts from screens and devices to gather thoughts and ideas.
I came across a potent article this year, “The productive power of doubt. What if we lack the leaders we need because of how we think about doubt?”, written by Nicola Reindorp, CEO of UK-based NGO Crisis Action. Whilst hoping to encourage and inspire my fellow female executives, these thoughts are certainly not limited nor exclusive to women.
Did you have to overcome specific challenges as a female business leader?
Personally, I feel fortunate that I have not felt overly challenged being a woman in the music industry, as I know others have. That said I can look back on a 30+-year career and recognize that misogyny and mistakes have taken place, and continue to do so. Many issues remain to be addressed, and it's important that people continue to speak out.
How do you think having a diverse team benefits the organization?
When it comes to team building, I believe in diversity, understanding, and tolerance. Whatever the sex, race, creed, identity, any and all beliefs, etc., which may offer valuable perspectives, it’s ultimately about the quality of the individual team members and how they collectively contribute to the success of the organization.
What do you think we can still do to ensure more equal representation in the classical music industry?
Be open, objective, honest, collaborative, and fair. That goes for all other art forms, organizations, and humanity in general.
Entries close on Sunday, November 26, 2023.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter is: Feed Media Pty Ltd Trading as The Violin Channel LLC.
2. Employees of The Violin Channel or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. The closing date for entry will be 11:59 PM November 26, 2023 (New York Time). After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
5. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
6. All incomplete entries will be disregarded and not eligible for entry.
7. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
8. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. Winners will be chosen at random using randomization software.
11. The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Violin Channel LLC and not to any other party.