Win 1 of 5 Signed Copies of VC Artist Timothy Ridout’s New Album: “A Lionel Tertis Celebration”
Released on Harmonia Mundi, the album features Timothy performing with pianists Frank Dupree and James Baillieu
The Violin Channel is this week giving away 5 signed copies of VC Artist Timothy Ridout’s New Album: “A Lionel Tertis Celebration”.
A former BBC New Generation Artist and Borletti-Buitoni Trust fellow, VC Artist Timothy Ridout is a graduate of London’s Royal Academy of Music and the Kronberg Academy, where he studied with Martin Outram and Nobuko Imai.
Paying tribute to Lionel Tertis and his legacy, Timothy’s latest album, “A Lionel Tertis Celebration,” features music by Tertis’s friends, teachers, and students, alongside his own original works and transcriptions.
A viola virtuoso in the 20th century, Tertis was an advocate for expanding the viola repertoire and contributed many original compositions. Among the works he arranged for the viola included the Elgar Cello Concerto.
The album’s first disc with pianist Frank Dupree comprises York Bowen’s Viola Sonata No.1, Op.18; Tertis’s Sunset — Coucher du Soleil; Frank Bridge’s Pensiero and Allegro appassionato; Brahms’ Minnelied; Schumann’s Romance; Fauré’s Élégie; William Wolstenholme’s Allegretto; and Fritz Kreisler’s Liebesleid and Praeludium & Allegro.
The second disc with pianist James Baillieu includes William Henry Reed’s Rhapsody; Eric Coates’ First Meeting (Souvenir); Vaughan Williams’ Six Studies in English Folk Song; and Cecil Forsyth’s Chanson.
More works on disc two include John Ireland's The Holy Boy; Mendelssohn’s Song Without Words; Tertis’ Hier au soir; Wolstenholme’s The Question, Op.13 No.1; Bowen’s Obbligato to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata; and Rebecca Clarke’s Viola Sonata.
“Lionel Tertis was undoubtably one of the most important violists of all time, and I would argue that he distinctly shaped the possibilities for a viola player in our world today,” Timothy writes. “He commissioned multitudes of works for the viola, made countless arrangements, and through his own performances and rigorous teaching he hugely improved the level of viola playing across the board.
“These two discs include many works which are deeply meaningful to me; all of which have a direct connection to Lionel Tertis,” he added. “I hope that these recordings will shine a light on some of these absolutely gorgeous and unduly forgotten gems of the viola repertoire.”
Entries close on Sunday, February 18, 2024.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter is: Feed Media Pty Ltd Trading as The Violin Channel LLC.
2. Employees of The Violin Channel or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. The closing date for entry will be 11:59 PM February 18, 2024 (New York Time). After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
5. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
6. All incomplete entries will be disregarded and not eligible for entry.
7. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
8. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. Winners will be chosen at random using randomization software.
11. The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Violin Channel LLC and not to any other party.