Win 1 of 5 Signed Copies of VC Artist Timothy Ridout's New "Elgar & Bloch" CD
Recorded with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and conductor Martyn Brabbins, the CD features a transcription of Elgar's cello concerto and Bloch's Suite for Viola and Orchestra
This week, The Violin Channel is giving away five personally autographed copies of VC Artist Timothy Ridout's new "Elgar & Bloch" album.
Violist Lionel Tertis made his arrangement of Elgar's famous cello concerto in 1929, with the approval of the composer. The arrangement was premiered under Elgar's direction on March 21, 1930, at Queen's Hall in London. Timothy Ridout has made a few further small adjustments to this arrangement.
Swiss-born composer Ernest Bloch composed the viola and piano version of his Viola Suite in 1919 when he was already living in the US. The piece was premiered by violist Louis Bailly and pianist Harold Bauer, and was awarded First Prize in the prestigious Berkshire Chamber Music Festival Competition sponsored by Elizabeth Sprague. The orchestrated version was premiered on November 5, 1920, at Carnegie Hall, New York, with violist Louis Bailly and the National Symphony Orchestra conducted by Artur Bodanzky. The piece is inspired by renditions of travels in Asia that Bloch was fond of.
"I hope that this recording shows a different perspective on the Elgar Concerto, and introduces people to the vivid colors of Ernest Bloch’s music. Overall, I hope that listeners will enjoy these two great works," Timothy told The Violin Channel. "I find it astonishing to think that these works which are so different were both composed in the same year, 1919."
British violist and VC Artist Timothy Ridout is a BBC New Generation Artist and Borletti-Buitoni Trust fellow. In 2020, he won Hamburger Symphoniker’s inaugural Sir Jeffrey Tate Prize and joined the Bowers Program of the Chamber Music Society of the Lincoln Center in 2021.
Recent highlights include solo appearances with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo Metropolitan, hr-Sinfonieorchester, Odense, San Jose symphony orchestras, and Netherlands Chamber Orchestra, amongst others.
Sought after as a chamber musician, Timothy has taken part in numerous festivals across Europe, including Rheingau, Bergen, Rosendal, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Sion and Lockenhaus, and regularly collaborates with leading international artists — including Janine Jansen, Steven Isserlis, Joshua Bell, Isabelle Faust, Kian Soltani, Benjamin Grosvenor, Nicolas Altstaedt and Christian Tetzlaff, among many others.
He has released 5 albums: "A Poet’s Love" which was recorded with pianist Frank Dupree and features selections from Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet and their own transcription of Schumann’s Dichterliebe, Berlioz "Harold en Italie" with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Strasbourg/John Nelson on Warner/Erato, "Music For Viola and Chamber Orchestra" with the Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne and conductor Jamie Phillips on Claves, "Henry Vieuxtemps Complete Works for Viola" with pianist Ke Ma on Champs Hills Records, and "Mendelssohn, The String Quintets" with the Doric String Quartet on Chandos.
He plays on a viola by Peregrino di Zanetto c.1565 – 75 on loan from a generous patron of Beare’s International Violin Society.
Entries close on Sunday, May 28, 2023.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter is: Feed Media Pty Ltd Trading as The Violin Channel LLC.
2. Employees of The Violin Channel or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. The closing date for entry will be 11:59 PM May 28, 2023 (New York Time). After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
5. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
6. All incomplete entries will be disregarded and not eligible for entry.
7. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
8. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. Winners will be chosen at random using randomization software.
11. The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Violin Channel LLC and not to any other party.
28mayAll Day16julSitka International Cello Seminar(All Day) The Miner Music Center at Stevenson Hall, 104 Jeff Davis St. Sitka, Alaska 99835Event Type :Other
02junAll Day10Michael Hill International Violin Competition(All Day) Auckland Town Hall, Queen Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New ZealandEvent Type :competitions
07jun8:30 pm10:30 pmVirtual EventNorth Shore Chamber Music Festival Presents: Fairy's Kiss8:30 pm - 10:30 pm Event Type :Streams
10jun8:30 pm10:30 pmVirtual EventNorth Shore Chamber Music Festival Presents: Your Heart's Desire8:30 pm - 10:30 pm Event Type :Streams
03julAll Day09Melbourne International Chamber Music Competition(All Day) Melbourne Recital Center, 31 Sturt Street, Southbank VIC 3006, AustraliaEvent Type :competitions
07julAll Day15The Malher Competition(All Day) Joseph-Keilberth-Saal, Konzerthalle Bamberg Mußstraße 1 96047 Bamberg GERMANYEvent Type :competitions